What is a hardship discharge?

What is a hardship discharge?

A hardship discharge is a discharge the court grants you before you complete all of the required payments under your Chapter 13 repayment plan. You failed to complete your payments because of circumstances beyond your control.

What type of discharge is a hardship discharge?

Terminology can get confusing because “hardship” and “dependency” discharges are often both loosely labeled “hardship.” Specifically, a hardship discharge is when the financial needs of family member(s) require more than the military member can provide while remaining in the military.

Can you reenlist after a hardship discharge?

You are normally only eligible for reenlistment if you have an honorable discharge. All other discharges than honorable tend to have legal or court martial offenses attached to them. contains the Separation Code, which tells the reason for discharge.

How can I get early discharge?

Some of the ways you can earn an early discharge include pregnancy, a psychological condition, medical conditions, and family dependency. Though these circumstances might not be common, it allows you to gauge the reasoning behind those who get out of their military contract early.

What is an entry level discharge?

Entry level separations, or uncharacterized discharge, are given to individuals who separate prior to completing 180 days of military service, or when discharge action was initiated prior to 180 days of service. This type of discharge does not attempt to characterize service as good or bad.

What is an early out discharge?

1171 is an early-out discharge available to enlisted persons only (and not to officers) which must be granted within 3 months of the expiration of the term of enlistment or extended enlistment. Generally, discharges from a 2-year enlistment under 10 U.S.C. 1171 will be for Army veterans.

How do I get my discharge papers?

You or your next-of-kin can request a copy of your DD Form 214 online by going to the National Personnel Records Center website. You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives’ National Personnel Record Center (NPRC).