What is the purpose of the Employment Standards Act?
The Employment Standards Act sets the minimum standards for wages and conditions of employment that apply in most workplaces in British Columbia. For those employees who are covered by a union collective agreement, the agreement supersedes the Act.
What are federal employers?
Federal employees are individuals who work for the federal government. This includes politicians, judges, and heads of departments such as Labor and State. Federal employees can also be civilians who work government jobs in areas like law enforcement, public health, science and engineering.
What is the intent of the federal Employment Equity Act?
2 The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with …
What are the employees responsibilities?
Your most important responsibilities as an employee are: to take reasonable care of your own health and safety. to take reasonable care not to put other people – fellow employees and members of the public – at risk by what you do or don’t do in the course of your work.
Who is covered by the Employment Equity Act?
(1) No person may unfairly discriminate, directly or indirectly, against an employee, in any employment policy or practice, on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, 15 colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, HIV status …
What is the difference between pay equity and pay equality?
Pay equity compares the value and pay of different jobs, such as nurse and electrician. Equal pay compares the pay of similar jobs. Only people (both men and women) in jobs done traditionally by women can complain that their work is undervalued.
What 3 main duties of the health and safety at Work Act must employees follow?
The HSWA says employees have health and safety responsibility and must take reasonable care: For their own Health & Safety….Main duties
- Take reasonable care of their own Health & Safety.
- Take reasonable care of someone else’s Health & Safety.
- Use safety provisions correctly.
How do you make staff accountable?
8 Actionable Tips to Preach Accountability at the Workplace
- Be clear with your expectations.
- Set smart and realistic goals.
- Follow up on their work.
- Share honest feedback.
- Do not lower the work standards.
- Understand the difference between actions and results.
- Confront the employees.
Who can claim overtime?
You can claim overtime if you are:
- A non-workman earning up to $2,600.
- A workman earning up to $4,500.