How much bond can a landlord ask Vic?

How much bond can a landlord ask Vic?

Maximum bond amounts In most cases, a bond cannot be more than one month’s rent. A rental provider can only ask for a higher bond when either: the weekly rent for the property is more than $900. VCAT has set a higher bond for the property.

Is a rental application binding Victoria?

Unless there is something written on the application which states that it is binding then it isn’t. This form does not form part of a tenancy agreement. There is no tenancy agreement in place by submitting an application. You only have a legal obligation after you have signed a lease.

What is the maximum bond payable Victoria?

The maximum Rental Bond that can be charged in Victoria is the equivalent of 1 month’s rent when the weekly rent is $900 or less. The Rental Bond must be deposited with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

Is it illegal to keep bond?

You cannot keep the money or put it into an account in the tenant’s name. If you, as a landlord, take more than four weeks rent as a bond or do not lodge a bond on time, you may be breaching the bond rules. Consequences for non-compliance include Fair Trading issuing a fine or taking you to court.

How much can a landlord bond in Victoria?

Where the rent is less than $350 per week, the bond cannot exceed more than one months rent. If the rent is over $350 per week or is the landlord’s principal place of residence, there is no limit on the bond amount. The bond must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA).

What are the new tenancy laws in Vic?

1. Terminology changes The new VIC residential tenancy laws refer to landlords as rental providers, tenants as renters, tenancy agreements as rental agreements, and rooming house owners as rooming house operators. As such, the below changes will reflect the updated terminology. 2. The end of no-grounds evictions

How to contact Residential Tenancies bond authority Victoria?

The RTBA releases the money as agreed. Interest on rental bonds goes towards running: Consumer Affairs Victoria residential tenancies activities. You can contact the RTBA on: Phone: Phone: 1300 137 164, during business hours, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

What are the rights and obligations of a landlord in Victoria?

She now supervises a team of over 80 solicitors across Australia. Landlord rights and obligations in Victoria are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA). The landlord is required to provide a tenancy agreement (in the standard form) to the tenant. The tenant must be given time to read and understand the agreement before signing.