What do you do if your child is caught shoplifting?
When Your Teen is Caught Shoplifting
- Decide on the consequences beforehand. One in four shoplifters caught is a teen.
- Remain calm at the scene of the crime. Confronting your child will only add to the humiliation and embarrassment he is probably feeling.
- Allow a cooling off period.
- Follow through.
What to do when you catch your teenager stealing?
Speak to a family counselor or therapist if your teen keeps stealing. If you catch your teen stealing again, it may be time to reach out to a family counselor or a therapist. Some teens steal due to deeper issues that may require hands on therapy, with your family or at an individual level.
What happens if a 14 year old gets caught stealing?
Release to Parents: If your teen is caught for a minor first offense case of shoplifting, generally the juvenile court may choose to do nothing more than release them to a parent or guardian. Restitution: Your teen may be ordered to pay restitution to the property owner for the amount of goods that were stolen.
How do you stop a child from stealing?
6 Ways To Stop Your Child From Stealing
- Take Action Now. If you discover money or other items missing, or your child has something in their possession that cannot be accounted for, act immediately.
- Just the facts, ma’am.
- Assume guilt.
- Remove temptation.
- Shape the social scene.
- Consider counseling.
Why is my child lying and stealing?
They may feel peer pressure and the need to fit in. They may have low self-esteem. They may not have any friends and may be trying to “buy” their friends. They may try to become good at stealing to feel proud of something they have done if they don’t receive positive feedback from their parents.
What will happen if I get caught shoplifting?
If you are charged with shoplifting In most cases, if you are caught obviously shoplifting, then the store will ring the local police. As the suspect in the shoplifting offence, you will be commanded to appear in the Magistrates court most local to the establishment where it is alleged that you committed the offence.
Why would a child steal?
Some kids steal because they feel something is missing in their lives. What’s missing may be love or attention. Or simple things like food and clothing. They may be angry, sad, scared, or jealous.
What happens if a 13 year old gets caught shoplifting?
How do you discipline a child that won’t listen?
Discipline: Top Do’s and Don’ts When Your Kids Won’t Listen
- Don’t view discipline as punishment. Discipline may feel as though you’re punishing your kids.
- Do find opportunities for praise.
- Do set limits and keep them.
- Do be specific.
- You’re their parent, not their buddy.